Saturday, 12 December 2009

Late Autumn (not winter for a week or so)

I had a glorious ride over Wenlock Edge this morning, and back again this afternoon, and a lovely walk in the late afternoon light, just after the sun had gone down. It just reminded me that however hard we try we can never capture it on film. No camera has peripheral vision like a human, and I think mine is almost 180 degrees, nor can it have the depth of focus. To watch the sun go down, to the sound of a young buzzard, the bell of the church striking 4.00pm, the whistle of the steam train and the clatter of the main line train far in the distance, to feel the damp mist on ones face - an artist can only hope to give an impression of this, in music, paint, photograph, prose or poetry. I can only hope to soak it up, and occasionally get a really good shot.

1 comment:

Ruby said...

I enjoyed the fields bit, but you didn't take me to Wenlock Edge.