At present the fondness—whether Platonic or not—that M. de Charlus felt for Morel merely led the Baron to say spontaneously in Morel’s absence that he thought him very good looking, supposing that this would be taken in all innocence, and thereby acting like a clever man who when summoned to make a statement before a Court of Law will not be afraid to enter into details which are apparently to his disadvantage but for that very reason are more natural and less vulgar than the conventional protestations of a stage culprit. With the same freedom, always between Saint-Martin du Châne and Doncières-Ouest—or conversely on the return journey—M. de Charlus would readily speak of men who had, it appeared, very strange morals, and would even add: “After all, I say strange, I don’t know why, for there’s nothing so very strange about that,” to prove to himself how thoroughly he was at his ease with his audience. And so indeed he was, provided that it was he who retained the initiative, and that he knew his gallery to be mute and smiling, disarmed by credulity or good manners.
Tuesday, 18 August 2009
The Baron and strange morals.
I keep thinking of this one, even though I've gone on to a new volume. The concept of normality:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you for your comment to my blog of portraits of Marcel's characters. I'll keep reading yours for general interest and more Proustian insights.
~David Richardson
http://resemblancetheportraits.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment