Tuesday, 10 June 2008

A look at local life, with the Northamptonshire Evening Telegraph

So funny I had to blog it. Not the accident, that isn't funny, nor the cup of tea for the driver, but the fact that a reporter actually sat and wrote this.


Binman thrown 20ft in collision with car

Binman hit by car

A binman hit by a car while working in a street in Great Addington was thrown 20ft across the road and landed in a hedge.
The air ambulance was called to treat the council worker, who was hit while doing his rounds in Rushwell Close, Great Addington, at about 10.25am on Thursday.

The extent of the man's injuries are not known, but witnesses say he was still conscious at the scene.

George Hall, who is retired and lives in Cranford Road, said: "It was about 10.25am and we were in our front garden.

"I heard a loud bang and I saw the car hit the binman.

"It twisted him around and he went over the bonnet and cartwheeled through the air.

"He must have flown about 20 feet, diagonally across the road and landed in my hedge.

"He is a nice man. I hope he will be okay."

Mr Hall's wife Mary said the binman was lucky not to land on the concrete pavement.

She said: "His head went in the hedge, or he would have been in a much worse condition.

"The driver of the car was terrified and kept asking if she had killed him.

"I told her he was groaning a lot so he must be alive. Someone called an ambulance, and then the air ambulance was called out.

"I took the driver inside and gave her a cup of tea because she was so shaken up."

Neighbour Linda Nicholson said the street was blocked off and the air ambulance landed in a field across the road.

She said: "The dustbin lorry had to be moved so they could get out of the gate.
"After the man was taken to hospital the police came and measured the road."
Northamptonshire Police could not give any more details on the incident.

No comments: